DARREN’S E82 #118d
Over the last few months it’s been a bit of struggle to find some time for the car, really. The lead-up to Christmas was absolutely full-on at work and then when Christmas rolled round I felt like I just needed a little time to do nothing apart from drink and eat food! But, hey ho, the holiday period is over now and its back to it!
My plans have slightly changed with the car. With a few rules changing in the British Drift Championship, and with no sight of sponsors or financial backing to race this season, it’s only going to be used for a few practice drift days here or there. Unless something changes dramatically over the next few weeks I think I’ll be focusing on making the car more of a fast road/track build rather than a full drift car as I first set out to do. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still smash it round a track, no bother, but I just want to be able to use it on the road as well. So, with this in mind, I’ve changed a few things. One major thing is up front; with no steering lock kit I’ll just be running standard M3 hubs and standard steering lock. As you may know, in drifting we normally run different steering setups to get maximum angle in and out of corners, but most are not road-friendly. Obviously I could have built this car with all fibreglass panels then I wouldn’t have cared too much about it, but that was never the car I wanted to build from the start.
Anyway, I digress. I’m so close to sending the car away for paint, it’s just this section in the build process that seems to take forever! I’m trying to get all the little bits complete so once it comes back from paint I won’t have to grind this, change that, drill this etc. The main things are the manifold (I’m just waiting on a small section of pipe to fit the second wastegate and that’s the manifold complete at long last. Why did it take so long? The answer is lack of time and doing everything in-house between friends rather than sending it away or buying a complete car. It takes a lot longer but not only is it more satisfying. Also, if I got someone else to build the car the way I wanted it built, the bill would be through the roof! The problem is all my friends spend a lot of time working on their own builds. For example, Pete has just started taking his turbo 500hp+ E30 Convertible to bits for its annual winter spruce up. Matty has been building his Toyota 1.5J-powered Nissan 350Z. While Yates has just finished his barge off, an Audi A6 with a 500hp single turbo 2.7 V6, so there’s plenty going on in the garage!
The engine has been in and out the car over 100 times now (if you’re following my Instagram account, @Darrenr33, you will know this already!) to make sure the turbo position is correct and that I can get the wastegates in, too! We have also made a start on the front pipe from the turbo-back; the Precision turbo only has a 3” outlet so we have stepped this up to 3.5” and that’s going to run all the way to my back boxes. We need to somehow shoehorn it in between the engine and chassis leg as it’s starting to get tight! I have no doubt Pete will sort the job out…
Another job I still need to tackle is to swap the diesel front panel for a petrol one as the alloy radiator does not fit (it was making the radiator sit too close to the engine). And the petrol front panel solves this problem although we still need to squeeze a lot of coolers in there somewhere, too! I’ll just put that on the ‘to do’ list. And remember, don’t be shy, go take a look at my build.