Porsche Macan gets a facelift. Numerous updates aim keep the compact and sporty SUV at the top of its game. Text and photos by Sheldon Trollope.
Since the launch of the Porsche Macan in 2014, this compact Sports utility vehicle has been the industry benchmark that has found more than 350,000 owners around the world. No surprise then that competitors such as the BMW X3 and Mercedes-Benz GLC among others have upped the ante with new models that are more accomplished than ever.
To address the demand for more connectivity, comfort and style, Porsche has refreshed the Macan (Indonesian for tiger) with a re-styled three-dimensional LED tail strip while LED headlamps are now standard. Inside, a full-HD 11-inch touchscreen takes centre stage and serves as the gateway to access the Porsche communication Management (PcM) system.
Correspondingly, the climate control vents have been repositioned while the GT Sports Steering Wheel from the 911 can now be found as an option in the Macan.
This means that when specified with the optional Sports chrono Package, the GT Sports Steering Wheel will also feature an integrated sport response button. Another highlight in the expanded options list for the new Macan is a built-inioniser to improve the air quality in the cabin.
Additionally, new exterior colours such as Miami Blue, Mamba Green Metallic, Dolomite Silver Metallis and crayon, along with new interior packages, give the Macan a higher degree of customisation than before.
To ensure that the Macan stays at the top of its game in the performance department, its chassis has been optimised with further fine-tuning to deliver enhanced stability and improved comfort thanks mainly to a range of newly-developed tyres as well as new 20 and 21-inch wheels that offer a greater scope for customisation as well.
- LED headlights now come as standard with a three dimensional tail light strip
- New four point design brake lights
- Re-designed nose that makes the Macan appear wider
- New body colours: Miami Blue, Mamba Green Metallic, Dolomite Silver Metallic and crayon
- Revised 11 inch touchscreen
- Re-designed and re-positioned air vents
- GT Sports Steering Wheel has a modes witch, plus Sports response button (optional with Sport chrono Package)
- Heated windscreen
- Ioniser to improve interior air quality
- Connect Plus module comes standard to provide such digital services as intelligent voice control and real-time traffic information
- The ‘Here C loud’ connection providess warmbased traffic data
- Specially re-developed tyres for improved grip and handling performance
- New 2 0 and 21 inch wheels
- Re-tuned chassis
Its chassis has been optimised with further fine tuning