Road safety and breakdown organisation, GEM Motoring Assist, is encouraging motorists to ensure they – and their vehicles – are ready for the potential challenges of driving in winter.
Road safety officer within GEM, Neil Worth, makes the following points relating to driving in fog:
- Always drop your speed
- Use dipped headlights and fog lights
- Remember to switch off fog lights when visibility improves
- Don’t use the rear lights of the car in front as your guide; you may end up following too close, leaving yourself insufficient reaction time
- Don’t follow the white lines in the centre of the road as a guide in thick fog
- If you need a visual guide, follow the edge of the road Check out GEM’s advice on winter driving techniques on its website at: motoringassist.com, where you’ll find a video, leaflet, tips and a free eBook to download.