Brexit Documents

No, not the 585-page withdrawal agreement but the equally tedious question of the new documents you might need to carry with you when driving abroad in the EU and EEA in the event of a no-deal scenario. Leaving aside the question of insurance cover when using your own car abroad, it now seems likely that additional driving permits will be required for UK licence holders driving in the EU and EEA.

The Department for Transport warns that in the event of a no deal, from March 28 UK drivers will need an International Driving Permit (IDP). These are available from the Post Office and you’ll need your UK photo card driving licence, a passport photograph and the fee of £5.50.

To add to the confusion, two different types of IDP are available: the 1949 IDP and the 1968 IDP. Each is valid in a different selection of countries, meaning that to drive through France to Spain you’ll need both types. The 1968 document covers all EU/EEA countries except Cyprus, Iceland, Malta and Spain, which are covered by the 1949 permit. More information at

It’s not just your licence that is an issue but your car’s number plates, too. According to the DfT, if your car currently has the ‘GB’ symbol on its plates with the EU star flag as a background then you will technically need a separate GB sticker while driving on the Continent.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 1

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.


Previous articleMore Mini 60 at Silverstone
Next articleSimply Aston