Members
Blogs in Group
    No posts created yet.
Link copied to your clipboard
Filter Timeline:
Pinned Items
Recent Activities
  •   Nick Trott reacted to this post about 3 years ago
    Peugeot 308 GTi 270 by PS / #Peugeot-308GTi / #Peugeot-308 / #Peugeot / #Peugeot-308GTi-MkII / #Peugeot-308GTi / #Peugeot-308GTi-T9 / #Peugeot-308-T9 / #Peugeot-308 / #PSA /

Our 308 continues to split opinion, but we think we’ve found a middle ground.

I had a long discussion with road test editor Dan Prosser about the 308 GTi recently. He’d just returned from a twin-test between it and the Golf GTI, and while it sounded like the Peugeot had been the more enjoyable car, he declared that he preferred the Golf for its all-round ability. Others on the evo team had expressed a preference for the Peugeot, though, so I began to wonder which I would favour.

Having now lived with the 308 for a month, I’m siding with Dan. That’s not to denigrate the Peugeot. Not in the slightest. The fact that we were talking about the narrowest margins – that the victory in this pairing comes down to personal preference rather than consensus – is proof that Peugeot Sport has taken a major step up.

Like Dan, I love the 308’s agility and alertness – it genuinely does echo the spirit and verve of a 205 GTI. Indeed, one of the pleasures of the 308 GTi is that you tend to seek out interesting roads, then go through a psychological rolling-up- of-the-sleeves ritual to prepare for playtime. And playful it is. With the nose planted, you can agitate some mobility from the rear with the throttle. Likewise, you can lean on the diff extremely hard, and with the suspension settled fore-and-aft generate startling corner-exit pace.

The drawback is that this is all reliant on the front end hooking into a corner. And now that the roads are getting greasy and the standardfit Michelin Pilot Super Sports are approaching 11,000 miles old, you can easily overwhelm the front axle with too much throttle. In fact, if you’re really clumsy the 308 will skip a car’s width across the road.

Overall I’ve enjoyed my brief stint with the 308. I love that Peugeot Sport has given it a unique character in a class largely made up of cars built from the same ingredients, and it should be applauded for building a car that is more than a dynamic equal to the Golf GTI.

Date acquired July #2016
    Total mileage 10,678
    Mileage this month 2011
    Costs this month £0
    Mpg this month 35.5
    Post is under moderation
    Stream item published successfully. Item will now be visible on your stream.
  •   Nick Trott reacted to this post about 3 years ago
    The magic’s back / Souped-up 308 is way better than it looks – a potential future classic hot hatch, it seems / Words John Simister / #Peugeot-308GTi-MkII / #Peugeot-308GTi / #Peugeot-308GTi-T9 / #Peugeot-308-T9 / #Peugeot-308 / #2015 / #Peugeot / #PSA /

We all know how good Peugeot’s hot hatchbacks used to be, and we’ll revisit its best in the next issue. We reported on the 208GTi 30th a few months ago, the hard-edged special edition created by Peugeot Sport to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the 205GTI’s launch, and now a range regular under the guise of 208GTi By Peugeot Sport. A highly entertaining machine it is, too. Next in the renaissance comes the car you see here, the 308GTi. It’s another Peugeot Sport development, but this time all the specially engineered parts are sent to the main 308 factory instead of being assembled in Peugeot Sport’s workshop. That’s because the new car is a head-on rival for a Golf GTI or Seat Leon Cupra, and Peugeot hopes to sell quite a lot of them.

You can have it in this two-tone red and black if you must, the colours divided by a diagonal slash and reversed relative to the 208GTi’s version of this coupe franche (‘straight cut’) design. It’s a motif taken from some of Peugeot’s recent concept cars, and very striking. More important, though, is that the 308GTi has fully 272 turbocharged bhp at its disposal, which is a great deal for a 1.6-litre engine and right up with the efforts of the best 2.0-litre opposition. And being a small engine, it’s lighter than these rival units and more economical should you find yourself driving it gently. Cake simultaneously possessed and eaten, it seems. I might as well tell you now. This car is terrific. Hefty 19in wheels fill their arches and are attached to slightly lower, firmer suspension given a stiffer rear anti-roll bar and a softer front one. There’s a touch more negative camber, and much aluminium in the front suspension components. The engine’s efforts reach the road via a Torsen limited-slip differential. And pressing a Sport button does not alter damping rates or steering effort. Peugeot Sport’s engineers have decided on the calibration and that’s how it stays, showing the same purity of purpose and interaction that also gives the GTi a proper manual gearbox.

The cabin is all-black apart from the ample red stitching, a hue matched by the instruments when that rather unnecessary Sport button is pressed. Two other things happen: the throttle response becomes even crisper, and the engine’s note is augmented by a digitally created version via the loudspeakers. And, thankfully, that’s it for 2015-style gimmickry.

Accelerating from a standstill to 62mph takes six seconds, but far more exciting is the offbeat tickover burble that rises to a breathy roar as the pace shoots up. A near-flat torque curves gives instant overtaking ability and the hefty Alcon brakes are tireless.

Best, though, is what happens as a bend approaches. Despite the tiny steering wheel the GTi’s helm is progressive and naturally weighted, allowing perfect placing. The Torsen diff then allows remarkable traction and a total understeer absence as you rocket out of the corner, feeling every nuance of feedback through various parts of your body. No current rival draws you into the drive as much as this one does (RIP, Renault Mégane Trophy), only the Golf R from the price category above. Yet, for all that, the 308GTi rides compliantly and you could happily live with it everyday. Price is £28,155. Will we read about it in these pages again in #2045 ? My bet says we will.

Above / Striking paintjob is known as a coupe franche, or straight cut. Love it or loathe it, there’s no doubt that Peugeot Sport has worked wonders on the 308’s engine and chassis.
    Post is under moderation
  • Glen Waddington created this group
    Post is under moderation
  • Glen Waddington updated the cover photo of the group
    Post is under moderation
  • Glen Waddington updated the group
    Post is under moderation
  • Glen Waddington updated the picture of the group
    Post is under moderation
There are no activities here yet
Unable to load tooltip content.

Drive-My.COM MEDIA EN/UK based is United Kingdom’s top cars/retro/classic/modern/tuning/moto/commercial news, test drive, classic cars and classifieds. For car advertisement be it an RETRO/CLASSIC/OLD-TIMER/NEW-TIMER, Coupe, MPV, SUV, Luxury Car, Commercial vehicle, OPC car or even an auction car. We update you with latest information on new car prices from both parallel importers and car authorised dealers with brands such as Aston-Martin, Bristol, TVR, Bentley, Ford, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Citroen, Tesla, DS, Alfa Romeo, Subaru, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Nissan, Audi, Kia, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Volvo, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz. Find new car pricelists, new car promotions, new car reviews, latest car news, car reviews & car insurance UK. We are also your information hub for parking, road tax, car insurance and car loan, car audio, car performance parts, car discussion, motor insurance, car grooming, car rental, vehicle insurance, car insurance quotation, car accessories, car workshop, & car sticker, tuning, stance and Cars Clubs

Our Drive-My EN/UK site use cookies